Sadly, but accidents happen, and they usually happen without warning. When this happens to you or a loved one it can be quite overwhelming and daunting if you don’t know how to proceed. The key thing to do after getting the correct medical assistance is to seek the help of a professional legal body who can help represent you throughout the duration of the case.
If you aren’t sure what you need to ask Hamilton personal injury attorney. Here are a few vital key points to take into account.
Questions to Ask Your Lawyer
- a) Have they taken on any previous cases similar to yours and what was the outcome? Common sense states that this is an important thing to ask because previous experience will help you into dictating if you have the right lawyer on your case.
- b) How long and how much will the case take to resolve itself? Although no-one can give you an exact answer on how long it will take to conclude, the lawyer will give you an estimation based on previous cases. As you may be out of work and have medical bills to pay it is important you know the total costs and fees that will also pile up with your attorney firm.
- c) What can you do to improve your chances of the case being a success? A lot of people think that when they hire a lawyer, they sit back and watch. This is not the case and for them to be able to help you, you have to be willing to help yourself. You may have to see various doctors or investigators throughout. Make sure you are clear what your part entails.
- d) Disagreeing on settlements. Many attorneys will advise you to take a settlement, meaning they get their fees paid and you ge a lump sum to cover your injury. Although many people prefer to fight their case in court you need to be clear with your attorney on this. Many lawyers will drop their clients in the case that they don’t agree on a settlement.
- e) Can your lawyer provide references? Many can and it okay to ask this. It is important that you get a feel from how previous cases were dealt with. You need someone to stand behind you and not only get the paperwork done but fight your case. This is why we have lawyers. Don’t be afraid to ask these questions either.
Before you hire a lawyer make sure you have a consultation with more that one so that you can get different opinions and cost totals from various firms before making a commitment.